Monday, March 12, 2012

Musical Monday: Singin' 'Bout the Strategies!


If you’ve ever observed in my classroom, you know that I can and do put anything to a tune to help with my lessons.  I have many, many favorites and will share one or two each Monday.

Today I’m going to share a series of songs I’m MOST proud of…the reading strategy songs.  I hit the mother load when I began Googling to find some songs about reading because I wanted to put together an end-of-year program for my parents for the spring.  I found nothing.  Then more nothing.  Then…jackpot!! I came across THIS website which had a bunch.  YOU HAVE GOT TO GO TO THAT SITE! Now!!

My students were doing so well with the comprehension strategies after learning these songs that I ended up creating a Christmas-themed program instead of waiting until spring!  I called it “Season’s Readings” and invited parents, administration, and our 4th grade reading buddies that come read with us on Fridays.  They wore jeans, white shirts, and Santa hats.  I had each student memorize one short line to help explain the strategies in between each song.  It turned out A-DORABLE! 

And even though it’s not the Christmas season, I’m spreading a little holiday cheer by giving you the two additional songs I wrote to supplement what was missing from the website…AND if you comment with your e-mail address I'll e-mail you the script I typed up for my class in addition to the PowerPoint I created for our program!

I hope you enjoy!  Let me know if you choose to use this in your classroom.  It’d make my day!
Here are the songs that I added to the ones from the site:

Predictions
(to the tune of “Jingle Bells”)
When you read a book
And you find a certain clue
If you use your brain
You’ll know just what to do
Good readers will predict
Just what will happen next
It makes you want to read some more
And helps you get the text
(Chorus)
Oh! Let’s predict! Let’s predict!
What will happen next?
Look into the crystal ball and give it your best guess.
Let’s predict! Let’s predict!
What will happen next?
Look into the crystal ball and give it your best guess.
Yes!

I Can Read!
(to the tune of “Let it Snow”)
Oh when I was in kindergarten
My reading was just startin’
But now I’ve got what I need
I can read, I can read, I can read!
When I open a brand new book
I can’t wait to just dive right on in
And now when I take a look
I know strategies to begin!
Oh at first reading was quite frightful
But at last, it’s so delightful
‘Cause I’ve got the tools I need
I can read, I can read, I can read.
(Slow)
I can read…..I can read….I can READ!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVEIt! As a music teacher and mom of a 1st grader, I'm constantly looking for more songs to bridge the gap. Thanks for sharing! Oh my email is fordpope@aol.com. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is a great idea. I would love to be sent your program! michelleleighdavis@gmail.com Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete